[VHFcontesting] 6m Array Switching

To: VHFContesting eMail Remailer <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 6m Array Switching
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 07:44:18 -0400
Hello everyone,
I am assembling a 4-dipole multi-driven array (horizontal polarized, stacked up my tower). At first, I was thinking about simply stacking them all 12' (5/8-wave) apart and feeding them with 3/4-wave 75-ohm harnesses and calling it quits. However, my thoughts are now wandering and am interested in exploring the ability to select between:

Upper Two (50' & 38')
Lower Two (26' & 14')
All Four  (50', 38', 26' & 14')

with the desire to focus the elevation component of the array to take advantage of different DX conditions. A couple of questions for those in-the-know...

Has anyone done this (array switching on 6m) with any degree of success?
 - How have you accomplished it?

What height does one use to calculate the takeoff angle of each combination?

"Let the tread begin" :)

Ev, W2EV