[VHFcontesting] ARRL contesting

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] ARRL contesting
From: John Kiesel <yamaha_xs_johnny@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 18:43:42 -0700 (PDT)
--- Ward Silver <hwardsil@centurytel.net> wrote:
> I said that their mission is "...to insure the
> health of the Amateur
> Service", not "...the organization."  The very best
> way to represent the
> interests of the members is to protect the vitality
> of Amateur Radio so that
> the members can engage in such pursuits as VHF+
> contesting.  A strong
> Amateur Service with active members will be
> reflected in strong membership
> for the League, not vice versa.
>
> Would you seriously suggest that your Division
> Director tot up the number of
> contesters vs. complaining non-contesters and make
> his or her votes
> accordingly?  I certainly hope NOT.  I would hope
> that your Director is
> sharp enough to realize that contesting is worth the
> time and expense and
> make League policy to protect and encourage it
> instead of strictly
> representing his constituency's wishes on an
> individual or numeric basis.
>
> With 165,000 "ME's" to represent, most of whom take
> an active dislike to
> contesting and have never done anything on any VHF+
> band except use a
> repeater, you would suggest what, exactly?  As a
> matter of fact, it looks
> like the League is looking after the far less than
> 5% of its membership
> engaged in VHF+ contesting rather well by using a
> disproportionate amount of
> manpower and resources to protect and advance their
> interests.
>
> The League needs to represent "US", not "ME."
>
> 73, Ward N0AX

 After listening to Tom Frenaye and Ward Silver, who
are dyed in the WOOL Contesters from atleast the
1970's I have to agree with them on these proposals!
They would never sell you short on any Contest without
a fight!!
 I am disappointed that all the line scores aren't in
QST along with the SoapBox! It was sort of a tradition
waiting for the results to be announced there, and I
waited with baited breath for ALL the results!! I wish
QST would change there stance on this issue, but I
will live!

Tree, N6TR mentioned supporting your own effort.
Whether it be VHF or Digital or whatever. You can make
your OWN thing happen. Even QST will support you like
Ward has said!... Not all is lost... You have your
very right to  complain or express your issues.

Long Live Ham Radio!!

Johnny  KE7V