Re: [VHFcontesting] Increasing Participation - At Last

To: Ward Silver <hwardsil@centurytel.net>,vhfcontesting@contesting.com, vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Increasing Participation - At Last
From: John Geiger <johngeig@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 10:51:27 -0700 (PDT)
I think that the decline in VHF logs is reflective of
a larger decline, in VHF operation in general.
Changing the rules of the VHF contest is only the tip
of the iceberg, we need to change the attitudes of
hams about VHF SSB/CW in general.  If we want Joe 706
to take is rig hilltopping for a contest, we first
need to get Joe 706 to use his rig on 6/2/70cm SSB/CW
in general.

The problem is not due to shortage of equipment, as it
once was.  Since the mid 90s, I count 11 different
models that added 6 meters to their HF coverage, 4
models that added 6 and 2 meters, and 7 models that
added 6, 2 and 70cm.  That is not including vhf single
band or dual band radios.  These are only HF models
that add VHF and/or UHF.  Something that the average
ham would probably buy to use as an HF rig.  How many
706s out there are being used on HF, with the VHF side
being limited to the local repeater?  Far too many!
In addition, 160 watt 2 meter bricks can be found for
$150 easily on the used market, with 100 watt 70cm
bricks going for $200 or less used.

Given that equipment isn't the problem, I propose that
ignorance is.  We have and continue to fall short on
educating hams on VHF/UHF all mode activities.  Most
new hams get started for their license using "Now
You're Talking" published by the ARRL.  I have helped
to teach a couple of ham classes in the past few years
where this book was used.  The book is geared very
heavily towards an emphasis on 2 meter FM, with HF a
distant second. Go to your local ham club, and you
will probably find a large percentage of the members
limit their operating to FM and packet.  Of the 5
different local ham clubs I have belonged to in my 24
years of being licensed that is definitely true, and
getting worse.

I looked through 3 recent issues of QST that I
happended to have handy (July 2004, June 2004, and
Feb. 2004).  I counted up 17 articles geared towards
HF operating, and 3 geared towards VHF operating, and
one of the VHF ones was the results of the Jan. VHF
contest.  I would bet that a similar ratio holds true
in CQ and Worldradio.  True, QST and CQ do have VHF
columns and QST even has a microwave column every
month, but I would wager that the vast majority of
people who read those columns are already active on
VHF SSB/CW.  We need more basic articles, up front in
the magazines, about getting on VHF SSB/CW.  Things
discussing how easy it is, the types of antennas to
use, operating techniques, why you should do it, how
much fun it is, and the different challanges these
bands afford.  The July 2004 QST did have a nice
article on 6 meter propagation.

This ignorance seems to play itself out in 1 of 2 ways
for many prospective VHF operators:

1. The ham who sticks up an omnidirectional loop, fed
with RG58 coax with press on connectors, or the ham
who uses his dual band vertical on SSB.  In either
case, they probably work 1 or 2 local hams on 2 meters
due to their setup, and give up.

2. The ham who believes that to be successful on VHF
he needs long boom antennas, fed with hardline, on a
70 foot tower with a mast mounted preamp.  Given that
those things are beyond his current means, he gives
the idea of 2 meter SSB up.

I have encounted several hams recently who have fallen
into this "Hardline is a must" trap.  They describe to
me their runs of 50 foot hardline for 2 meters, never
realizing that they are losing more RF in the
connectors required by the jumper cables than they are
saving by going to hardline over 9913.  I have also
seen a ham who was using a 5 element 2 meter beam, fed
with rg8x, mounted 4 feet above his six meter beam go
out and get a Kenwood TS255 because he was convinced
that the reason he could hear some of the stations
that others were was due to the radio (his other one
was a FT847), not his antenna setup.

We see similar types of problems with the recent
articles on amateur satellites.  Satellite operators
are naturals to recruit for VHF contesting because
they already have the rigs and equipment.  However,
almost every satellite article in the past 4 years of
QST has been aimed at AO40.  The LEO sats have pretty
much been ignored.  Thus the prospective satellite op
becomes convinced that an elevation rotor, cross
polarized antennas, preamp, downconverter, and full
duplex rig is necessary to get on the satellites.
Lacking the means for this, they don't even get
started.

We need more articles and presentations showing how
success can be obtained using much less extensive
stations, but at the same time pointing out certain
necessities, like decent low loss coax and horizontal
yagis.

In my own case since labor day of 2001 when I put the
first 2 meter antenna up at the present QTH I have
worked 39 states and 135 grids on 2 meters.  I have
never used more than 160 watts of power to a Cushcraft
13B2 mounted on a roof tripod. Height of antenna is 30
feet, max, with no preamps but fed with 9913 coax.

For satellites I earned satellite VUCC #129 using
horizontal VHF/UHF antennas with no elevation.

So if we want people to get on VHF/UHF and play, we
need a new push for education.  This isn't easy, but
in the end it will be worth it for us.  I am not sure
that changing the rules for the VHF contests is going
to have much of an effect, except maybe a negative
one.  It stands to tick off alot of current operators
who decide to quit playing.  I think very few new
operators will start contesting just because there is
now a 706 class in the June VHF contest.

73s John NE0P