[VHFcontesting] Pre-amp questions

To: "VHF Contesting" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>,"050-QTH " <50mhz@mailman.qth.net>, "144-QTH " <2m@mailman.qth.net>,"222-QTH " <222mhz@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Pre-amp questions
From: "Michael A. Urich" <mike@ka5cvh.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 15:16:21 -0500 (CDT)
In approximately a year or so, we are selling and moving out into the
country where I can grow steel and aluminum.  I am not going to have the
problem of being burdened with too much money, so like many radio
projects, putting a station on the air is going to have to be done in
stages.  The trees where we are looking at land are in range of 70-80'
tall so the first order of business is a good tall tower. I'm considering
going up with a 100' Rohn 45G tower.

The rig in use will be my Yaesu FT-736r equipped with 50/144/222/430
bands.  And at the moment my antenna choices are:
50 MHz = C3i C7-50
144MHz = C3i FO 15-144
222 MHz = C3i FO16-222
432 MHz = C3i FO22-432

My vision is to run a single LMR-600 feedline to the top of the tower and
then switch it to masthead pre-amps with LMR-400 runs to the antennas.  I
intend to use a NEC weatherproof box at the top of the tower for the
pre-amps and switch. The LRM-600 will terminate in the shack into another
switch with LMR240 going to the four modules of my FT-736.  Somewhere in
the future I will be adding RF amps for each band as the $$$ permit.

My question is, have any of you, or do you know of anyone who has tackled
a similar project?  I am also looking for suggestions on mast head antenna
switching and recommendations for pre-amps.  I'm also wanting ideas for
lightening protection area as well.

Mike Urich, KA5CVH
www.ka5cvh.com

Mike Urich, KA5CVH