Re: [VHFcontesting] Packaging,Marketing and Amateur Radio [was: Sports v

To: w2ev@arrl.net, VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Packaging,Marketing and Amateur Radio [was: Sports vs. R...
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 11:06:43 EDT

In a message dated 9/13/04 6:55:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time, w2ev@arrl.net
writes:

Who'd have thought that televised card games would be of any  interest?  I
now
notice that, with the correct "packaging and  marketing" applied, Texas
Hold'um
is an exciting spectator sport.   While this may come as no surprise to
others
who have been "cable enabled"  for a while, I was astounded as to how well
that
marketing plan  worked!  I now understand all of those "Texas Hold'em" kits I
see
in  the department stores.

TV poker has two things going for it that radio doesn't:  It is simple
enough that it can be learned in a few minutes (though not well enough to get
rich), and there is money involved.

I'm a moderately serious bridge player, a card game that IMHO has a lot in
common with ham radio.  Without getting into all that, the bridge world is
struggling to get some of the TV publicity that poker has acheived.   Bridge,
however, is a much more complicated game to learn.  Money isn't  normally money
involved, although there could a be lot when two of its  better known players
(known for other things) get together - Bill Gates and  Warren Buffet.

At minimum, ham radio needs a million dollar pot hanging on  whether W3LPL
beats KC1XX.

73  -  Jim    K8MR