Re: [VHFcontesting] DEMI 1296 transverter drive power

To: "Bill Burgess" <ve3cru@rac.ca>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] DEMI 1296 transverter drive power
From: Lee Scott - AA1YN <aa1yn@aa1yn.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2004 15:39:59 -0400
At 12:32 PM 10/2/2004 -0400, Bill Burgess wrote:
I have an earlier level DEMI 1296 transverter, serial # 105 without any information on it. I want to drive it with either a Kenwood 700A or Yaesu 480R, each being approx. 10 watts output and neither having a low power setting for ssb/cw. I need to know the safe drive level for this unit. Also, for those better than I in db calculations, will a 15 db attenuator in the drive transmit line be sufficient, or do I need more?

73,

Bill

Email: ve3cru@rac.ca

Hi Bill,

It all depends on the options it was built with. There is an option for 1-10w input and this can be identified by a high power (35w) 50 ohm resistor on the transmit side of the IF. A lower power input version has a 220 ohm resistor network and a still lower power input has maybe a couple of resistors. You need to open your transverter and look at the IF side of things to determine which transmit drive option you have. without that info, no one could guess as to the attenuator you need.

Lee Scott - AA1YN
Home of the VHF & Up Register http://www.aa1yn.com/vhf
Hooksett, NH
FN43gc52