[VHFcontesting] Re: survey

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: survey
From: K3uhf@aol.com
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 18:04:15 EDT
I think that with the previous discussions on this reflector about logging,
time lines, real time logging, etc., and the fact that the survey is posted on
the contesting web page implies that info is being gathered to sway opinions
about log submission timeliness.  It is not just a question of who has Internet
access, It would be crazy to ask in a survey of who has Internet access in a
contest over the Internet!  Those who are not represented are left out of this
forum.  I.E. if they don't have the Internet or are a member here they don't
have access to the survey.  Therefore the survey does not really work well for
contesting as a whole.  Somebody said no-one would ever click on option 4.
Well, those who who might don't have access to option 4. Since option 4 is
bound
to get a low number, those who might read this survey would be led to believe
that 24 hour log submissions were obtainable if only we could get people off
their lazy chair and start typing. The next conclusion would be to punish
those lazy people who would not turn their logs in within 24 hours by cutting
off
submissions on the Monday following a contest as to not hurt those who use
computer logs and send them in a "timely" manner.  I think this is the elephant
in the room no-one is talking about or defining.

So while I rant, I think real time logging and competition would be cool in a
perfect world.  However I think real time logging in this world would lead to
cheating.  After all who is out there to verify a qso in realtime?  If both
people are on the Internet arranging a sked or whatever, what is to stop them
from saying ah heck, we tried so lets count it.  This happens on some modes
now.

Here is some ideas for real time stuff.  Real time game playing like chess.
Report he winner and move up a bracket system. Some type a game where you have
to pass messages as a team well to win. How to tie real time to grid squares
is a challenge.

k3uhf