[VHFcontesting] Re: [VHF] Cell Sites

To: w3sz@comcast.net
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: [VHF] Cell Sites
From: jeff millar <wa1hco@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 22:15:51 -0400
Roger...

A neighbor (David, wb1cmg) went through this. He had 180 ft of Rohn 45 and the cell company wanted to get on it. They uprated the guy anchors, installed new larger guys, built a road and building. They installed three sectors at the 120 ft level. Dave gets the top. My 440 repeater sits on that tower. Dave is active on all VHF, UHF and microwave band and has not had interference, even on 900.

I know from experience that cell transmitters use bandpass duplexers with very high rejection of out of band signals. I wouldn't worry about TX noise from the transmitter. They're somewhere around 870-890 MHz and probably have a TX noise level of -40 dBm prior to the filter, then the filter rolls off at about 30 dB per 5 MHz. Assuming worst case band and Tx carrier placement, the filter will still have about 60 dB of rejection by 902/903. Then add 60 dB of antenna to antenna isolation and the noise floor in your 900 Rx probably runs -160 dBm. These numbers are familiar to me because the company I work for designs Cell systems and has to deal with our potential to generate intermods and Tx noise in the public safety band and other frequencies.

If you want to test this, drive up close to a cell site with a yagi and Rx and check for a noise rise when you point at the antenna. You won't see any.

Dave talked the cell company into increasing the size of the building and giving him the use of half...but they did use his tower.

The going rate for this is between $1000 and $2000 per month. Don't let them short you.

jeff, wa1hco

w3sz wrote:

Hello, All,

I am asking for advice from the collective wisdom of the VHF and VHF-Contesting lists.

I have been approached by a cellular company wanting to put up a tower on my property and of course to lease that space.

My immediate response on reading the letter was, "Are you crazy?" I had this response of course because of concerns about EMI in both directions, me to them and them to me.

I am however by virtue of the fact that my property is quite high, and probably sees every cell tower for more than 10 miles in all directions already exposed to multiple cell towers, at least a couple of which are fairly close [I would guess on the order of 0.5 to 1.0 mile away, but that is just a very rough guess]. I have a few bleeps and bloops on 903, but that is it in terms of problems as far as I know. I am not aware of any desensing on the other bands {I operate 50 MHz thru 24 GHz weak signal terrestrial, and 144 MHz EME}. I use cavity filters before the preamps on 144 MHz EME, and helical filters on 50 thru 903 MHz before the preamps.

The amount they offer as a starting point for negotiation is not large, but it would cover my property taxes and in addition leave me with more money to spend annually on ham radio than I would ordinarily allow myself to spend. So I am starting to consider this, thinking that maybe suffering some additional bleeps and bloops on 903 would be a small price to pay for the financial benefits of such an arrangement. My wife of course thinks this is a good deal, and has already figured out that if I do this it will be 'x' years before the rent we receive from the deal will pay off what I have already spent on ham radio-related expenses I have incurred at the property. So there are domestic advantages to the deal. ;)

Other thoughts that occur to me:

1. No neighbor problems currently with my present towers. This could potentially cause some I would think. And if I don't do the deal, and make that known, it could be a positive if complaints ever surfaced.

2. If the cellular signals are strong enough, I could suffer significant problems on other bands [besides 903] due to mixing products.

3. I don't know how MUCH rent / other benefits it is reasonable to ask for. I faintly recall a QST article where I believe the author got in addition to rent a new tower, antennas, maintanence, etc. Does anyone have knowledge of the 'going lease rates', which I am sure vary a lot? I am in Southeastern Pennsylvania.

4. I would need to have some agreement that the cell company would need to accept any interference that occurred from me, with the worst result allowed being that they would terminate the agreement. No other damages allowed. And maybe they would have to leave the tower in place if they left.

Any thoughts from those who have been down this road, or considered it, or know someone who has, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, and

73,

ROger W3SZ