[VHFcontesting] New Contest from denver

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] New Contest from denver
From: K3uhf@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 13:02:42 EDT
For those of you interested bear with me its a long one,

Interesting thought about Denver and pack rovers.  For one pack roving is
discouraged in this contest by limiting the amount of qsos in percentage with
any
roving to roving station. Therefore the pack would not grid circle for each
other and would be forced to aim back to Denver (good for the hams in Denver
right)?  However a club could send out 'x" amount of rovers to aim back to
Denver.

First the pack of rovers lets say a pack of 4 guys (biggest I have heard of I
may be wrong) goes out and circles Denver.  They are not all class 6 grids,
but on average 1.5 times that of lets say around the lower populated areas of
the East.  Denver would not be unlike Seattle, Portland phoenix, parts of Texas
ect..  These 4 guys will activate lets say 14 grids worth 150% as much as 14
grids in the East.  However these 14 grids have an exponentially lower number
of hams per grid square than the grids in the East.  A class 3 grid which
dominates the continuos suburbs of the NE corridor has a min pop of 2048 hams
per
grid square. A class 6 (worst case in this scenario) has less than 256 hams
per grid square.

The fixed station persay in the NYC area will get many more points because
there are at minimum 8 times the hams in the grid squares around them.  A team
of 4 rovers in the East would get a larger score because every grid they went
to had a min. of 8 times the hams.

The Denver scores will be lower than an NYC score because 4 rovers are not
going to tip the scales like an arrl contest might. There are no multiplies for
new grid squares.  In Arrl's contests, when an 6 band rover went out to 14
grids and aimed back at home he gave everyone who worked him a chance at 84
points per all qsos made in the contest on 2/6 meters, More on the higher
bands.
This system does not pyramid that way. The same 14 grids would be judged on
distance and rarity of the grids activated.  You have the opportunity to work
the
guy 84 times but it wont effect your whole score multiplier if you did
because there is no whole score multiplier.  A new grid wont help your overall
scores each qso stands alone.

I don't think there will be a limit on fixed stations working rovers however
there will be one on rover to rover contacts.  They wont be worth much anyway
with no distance between each other unless they circle or co-orbit each other
100s of miles apart on 2 different intersections at the same time.

Clubs would be wise to build well equipped rovers who can make long haul
communications and sent them on a grid square orbit around their home area.
This
is not an arrl contest so a club wont be limited to 175 miles.  This is not
fair for Hawaii, sorry guys.

Finally and I say it again winners are by division as far as points go.  The
goal of this is to get people out to rare grids with equipment that can let
them talk to populated grids.  One would have to make the rarity system
exponential from x to x to the 5th power to level the playing field.

Nationally longest qsos may be listed by top 10 qsos per mode per
propagation. As well as top 5 per division.

I like the scutiny and feedback does this make sense?  Please send more this
has evolved from my orinal ides some 6 months ago.  Also any links to european
contests would be good.

thanks guys
k3uhf