[VHFcontesting] Re: Mobile install

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com, kelly@thejohnsons.ws
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: Mobile install
From: K3uhf@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 12:26:13 EDT
I don't know infinity but if it is a hatchback run the wires under the car
and up through the hatchback door. Its long use big wire for voltage drop and
keep the wires away from heat.  However it helps the resale value. I did this
in
a jeep Cherokee the fire wall was built like a tank and I would have had to
break into the wiring loops and open up the dashboard to do it any other way.
Another slick spot is going through the shell of the car under a center junk
box between the seats. I did this with a 4-runner.  However a protective sleeve
may be needed for the transmission's heat. The radio gets mounted in the junk
box where no one sees it out when your parked at the mall.  Also look around
protective boots around the steering shaft where it comes through the fire
wall.  I slit my rubber boot on the shaft and ran wires through that on a gmc
suburban.  When you pull the wires out no one notices the slit in the rubber.
Finally again I say run big wire and put a large 50 amp Anderson powerpole plug
on it so that you might run more things and for a quick disconnect.  They are
3 bucks each on e-bay. No, I don't sell them hi hi. You could go with the 20
amps but look at my rig my call @ qrz.com and you will know why I went with big
plugs.

k3uhf