[VHFcontesting] Re: [VHF contesting] A quasi-history of roving

To: "Jim Worsham" <wa4kxy@bellsouth.net>,vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: [VHF contesting] A quasi-history of roving
From: "Jim Erickson" <k3lfo@mddsg.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 10:01:50 -0400 (EDT)
Jim,

The Sprint Rovers:
Although the Sprints are a lot of fun, They are not real conducive to
roving. we spend two days minimum preparing for a rove.  Most of the
Sprints are also during the work week, ending quite late to do much
traveling. WE would have to leave a couple of hours before the contest and
not return for a couple of hours after.

Lack of participation by Rovers is more of a practical mater than any
consideration for the rules.

The Rover Rules:
I feel that the present rules are fine (both old origional and new).  Any
major changes to the Rover rules to compensate for those "questionable"
practices would punish the rest of us!

The situation is no different than the unfairness of High Power stations
competing with low power stations. Or Multi Op stations with 10 band
microwave systems competing with Multi Op stations who don't operate above
432.  What do we do for these situations??  We make a new category for
them. Thats why there is SOHP, SOLP, MO Limited, MO Unlimited.  How about
applying these categories to the Rover Class? Maybe make a new class
called Multi Rover or Team Rovers?  You can specifically add grid circling
and or captive roving to this category. Those who wish to pursue and even
refine these techniques can do so in competition with each other. We will
all benefit from any contacts they let us make with them.

Just another approach,
73,
Jim K3LFO/Rover & Dave W3DIO