[VHFcontesting] Mirage Amp problems

To: VHF CONTESTING <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Mirage Amp problems
From: Rusty Boling <ae4bk@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 09:01:37 -0800 (PST)
Having problems with an older Mirage B1016 2M 160W amp for a while now.
Getting reports of distorted audio at all power levels on SSB.  Output power is
still good.  Distortion still there even with low drive power and low mic gain.
 Does not have the problem on FM and I don't know about CW (havent checked that
yet).  Driving the amp with a IC-271A usually and occasionally with an
IC-706MKII.  I am guessing the amp is 15-20 years old now and the reports of it
beginning to become distorted have happened over the last year or so.  I have
eliminated low voltage, RFI (for the mostpart), and poor connection to power
supply.  I spoke to K4TO last night and he thinks it could be a bias problem
within the amp.  The only thing that I could do to check that was compare
readings between the 2 high power transistors.  All voltages on the transistors
were consistant with eachother per given power input and output according to my
DVM, not that I like 160W on 2M at an armlength away.  Anyon
 e have
 this same problem before and was able to resolve it?  I'd hate to resort to
making it FM use only.  Any ideas???  Rusty  NE4ME