Re: [VHFcontesting] CATV RFI from 2m SSB (UPDATE)

To: VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] CATV RFI from 2m SSB (UPDATE)
From: w3sz <w3sz@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 06:52:22 -0500
I am not an expert, but I quote the ARRL RFI Book:

In bold print on page 10.8 there is a heading "When Not to Bypass".

The first sentence, also in bold, and the only sentence in bold font under that heading, says:

"Do not apply bypass capacitors to the output of transistor amplifiers. See Figure 10.9".

The text then continues on to say, "Contrary to previous literature, it is not a good idea to bypass speaker leads with a capacitor. This works just fine for tube amplifiers, but solid-state amplifiers are apt to break into full-power oscillation with capacitive loads. Damage to the amplifier is the probable result".

While some amplifiers may do fine with capacitors, should your neighbor's amplifier be damaged, so would your relationship with him and likely other neighbors as well [bad news travels fast]. Even if the problem mentioned in the ARRL RFI book were a very low probability event, in my mind it would not be worth the risk. I would avoid the bypass capacitors across the speakers even if I got a slew of comments back saying that it was OK. For even if it WERE OK, with that text out there, if something else caused his amp to go up in smoke in the future, you'd be in a potentially bad situation.

Hope that helps,

Roger Rehr
W3SZ