Re: [VHFcontesting] Drumming up FM activity for contests

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Drumming up FM activity for contests
From: Dan <n9rla@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 12:19:53 -0500
I generally make a dozen or so FM contacts each contest.  I've found
that calling CQ on FM doesn't work very well.  However, scanning popular
simplex frequencies and finding activity I can usually net a few Q's by
explaining what I'm doing and asking for a quick contact.  Most folks
are pretty curious about Roving, and are happy to give me a point.  A
few have even followed me from grid to grid.

But just parking on an FM frequency and calling CQ would likely *iss off
more folks than it would attract.

I like the idea of talking it up at club meetings.  We have had a local
"surge" in activity in my local area.  I'm currently trying to organize
a breakfast get together in hopes of putting together a local club.
Wish me luck.

73
Dan
--