[VHFcontesting] Why the Old Fashined Screen Supplies "Just Don't CutIt"

To: "'vhfcontesting@contesting.com'" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Why the Old Fashined Screen Supplies "Just Don't CutIt"
From: "DUGAS, JASON A. (JSC-EP) (NASA)" <jason.a.dugas@nasa.gov>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 20:23:49 -0600
Hello all,

I've been doing some reading in the VHF/UHF DX Book.  I have ahead of me, a
homebrew amplifier and a power supply to build.  In reading some of the
various power supply details in the book, they mention that the old screen
supplies used for Class C (modes AM, FM, and CW) won't work for Class-AB
service in SSB.

I'm still learning more about tubes and amplifiers here.  I would like to
hear some discussion on why, when building a amplifier screen supply, that I
can't use the old screen supplies?  I assume regulation is at the heart of
this statement.

Also, when I am reading some of the older literature, at what year in the
anthologies, should I assume that an amplifer was NOT designed for SSB
operation?  All I know is that SSB was around when I was born.  Anything
before that is beyond my recollection!

Thanks,

Jason
KB5URQ