[VHFcontesting] 2M Spring 2005 Sprint with the Long Yagi atop FM08Skylin

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 2M Spring 2005 Sprint with the Long Yagi atop FM08Skyline Drive
From: "Steve Gilmore" <shg@staffnet.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 20:30:19 -0400
Hello Everyone,

So nice to get out on such a nice day as the trip to Skyline drive from FM18
was quite nice. This year I was experimenting with a 22 Element Long Yagi on
about a 40 foot boom designed by Gulf Alpha Antennas out of Nebraska.

As the W4SHG Ford went up to set up we had about 400 watts behind a Yaesu
847 and some LMR-600. All of this is good but the Yaesu 847 as selectivity
is not so good even with Inrad Crystal SSB and CW filters.

Thanks to everyone who were patient working W4SHG through loads of QRM and
QSB. I set up looking South so I had a shot at the South and Southeast as I
really like to catch some grids in that direction. It cost me the NW and Due
North and just was not worth the effort. I was at 4000 ft with 22 elements
with a clear shot to North and South Carolina so if you all were there I
sure couldn't hear you.

As far as the North East good activity up there as always. Great to hear
AI3W Qrp and K1DS/R out of two (2) grids. Thanks for the nice Q from FN00
Roy, pleasure to make your acquaintance again.

Well 83Q's and 20 Grids as I missed to many in the West and North West. We
must rethink the location and get on CW sooner in the evening.

Great to work all of you and a special thanks to the SVHFS group for
expending the time to set this up for us and wade through the logs.

I will say I did hear a somewhat prominent operator purposely stomp or
attempt to stomp on another station attempting to work EM96 from the
Washington Area. It's a shame that this type of activity has to appear on
the VHF+ bands.

For all of you who missed FM18 this go around sorry I went to the mountain,
I will stay in FM18 for the 222 event.

Respectfully Submitted - W4SHG