[VHFcontesting] The dismal showing of W4SHG from the FM18 abyss

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] The dismal showing of W4SHG from the FM18 abyss
From: "Steve Gilmore" <shg@staffnet.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 08:56:49 -0400
Hello all from FM18

I decided to stay in FM18 this evening as I needed to pick up the XYL from
Dulles Airport at 4:00pm. Couldn't get back into the shack until 7:40pm or
so. Rush hour traffic south on I-95 out of DC lovely fun.

Listened around a bit didn't hear much. Called CQ a few times ahrrrrg
another 222 Contest.

Anyway best DX to the North KA2LIM in FN12 and to the South W4DEX EM95, he's
the only one down there it seems.
I experienced deep fades in signal all night, not sure what was going on but
many on CW and Voice never in here solid. Seems I would miss 1/2 to 2/3rds
the QSO and would have to ask again very often. More fading than normal
here.

I guess that's what happens when you fire signal through dirt at 67 asl here
in FM18
Well maybe we can get out for 432 to a better spot. Bet on it ...

Worked 22 Q's and 14 grids and was on 7:40 to 10:10. No FM09 or FN21 but
otherwise got most of the nearby grids.

Hope I gave out FM18 to a few but it seems based on the numbers there were
only a few.

Steve - W4SHG