Re: [VHFcontesting] New to 6

To: Robert Tucker <rit001@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] New to 6
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 07:46:41 -0700
On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 08:53:48AM -0700, Robert Tucker wrote:
>  I have worked HF for many years. And I'm new to 6
> meters...What is the best beacon to listen in the
> DM03(WA6) area. Saturday night worked TX and AZ, is
> this about the best it gets...What due I need to get
> started in CONTESTING.

Six meters can be an immensely enjoyable band.  Single-hop Eskip
contacts can cover distances from 500 to 1500 miles (or maybe a
little longer or shorter during exceptional openings.)  From
California, you should be able to get double-hop Eskip on occasion
during the summer, which would open up contacts to Florida, the
Mid-Atlantic, and the Midwest.  Single-hop Eskip is the most
important mode of propagation for much of the country when it
comes to contest contacts on six meters.

This web site has some tutorials on it:
http://www.lionlmb.org/vhftest.html
  "Selecting your contest operating class."
  "Setting realistic contest expectations and goals."
  "Avoiding common logging errors."
  "Tips on contest preparation/operating."
  etc...

> My station is Yaesu FT920, antenna 4 element Beam. I'm
> using a very good log program. I also have a IC706
> MKIIG, which is better for 6.

Actually, based on reputation alone, the FT-920 should be a
better radio for 6 meters than the IC-706 MkIIG.

A four-element yagi is an excellent antenna for six meters.
One great thing about six meters is that you don't have to get
a horizontally-polarized antenna that far off the ground.  Just
35' above ground, for instance, is about two wavelengths, and
more than enough for skywave (Eskip) contacts.  (Think about how
many skywave contacts people make with 40 meter antennas that
are much lower than one wavelength above ground!)

> Thanks for all your HELP,
>
> 73's
> Bob-WA6MBL

Kenneth E. Harker WM5R