Re: [VHFcontesting] Antenna-WA6MBL

To: Robert Tucker <rit001@yahoo.com>, VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Antenna-WA6MBL
From: "Eric Smith" <kb7dqh@donobi.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 03:30:39 -0700
Couple Questions:  How high is the roof, (above ground) and
what is it made of? Wood structure with non-conductive
roofing, probably not much difference.

 The steel roof on my rover vehicle reduces the gain of my
4 element yage about 3dB when it is only 2-1/2 feet above,
as when travelling, but raising the antenna to 7 feet above
the roof restores expected performance.  Oddly enough, the
SWR doesn't change between the lowered, travel position and
the raised position for parked operations.

Of course, more line of sight distance can be achieved with
higher antenna elevations... which is why many of us
VHF'ers frequent the local mountaintops...
Eric
KB7DQH