Re: [VHFcontesting] Remote Antenna switch

To: "N8JX" <n8jx@bignetnorth.net>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Remote Antenna switch
From: Lee Scott - AA1YN <aa1yn@aa1yn.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 17:17:31 -0400
At 08:42 AM 7/2/2005 -0400, N8JX wrote:
>I need help in what to use for a remote antenna switch. Trying to switch
>between 2 vhf and 2 uhf antennas.  Anybody have palns on building one and
>where to obtain parts???  thanks in advance  73 Terry N8JX

Hi Terry,

On HF there are a few remote antenna switches.  The ones I know of use open
frame relays and there is a high SWR even at 10 meters. Pushing these to
the UHF bands would not be wise.

If you really need to switch antennas remotely, consider using coax
relays.  You can pick them up for $20 each at hamfests but bring an ohm
meter with you to measure the contact resistance.  You will need 3 of them
to switch 4 antennas so for $60 plus a couple of switches, you have a
remote antenna switch. Don't forget to waterproof them.  If you have 4 rigs
in the shack, you'll need 3 more. If you buy new, you could probably get by
with something like the CX1054A by Tohtsu - DEMI has tehm for $60 each.

Have fun

Lee Scott - AA1YN http://www.aa1yn.com
Home of the VHF & Up Register http://www.aa1yn.com/vhf
Home of the VHF Talk chatroom http://vhftalk.aa1yn.com