[VHFcontesting] A practical consideration

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] A practical consideration
From: stanka1ze@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 13:02:00 -0400
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
 Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] A practical consideration
 To: Radiosporting Fan <radiosporting@yahoo.com>
 Cc: vhfcontesting@contesting.com

 >>Historically, circle roving has been very controversial.
 In the January, 1993 contest, the first circle roving effort
 (team KA1ZE) was so controversial in effect that it led to
 the infamous rules change in rover scoring and nearly killed
 off the category. In the January, 1999 contest, the grid
 circling Team N3IQ's result was so controversial that N1ND
 felt compelled to include in his writeup that the score
 was achieved "within the rules." Team N6NB/R has been the
 first circle roving team to keep at it over multiple contests:

 Hello Gentlemen,

  I knew I would eventually see my call regarding the 1993 1st rover
event. I would like to remind most of you (who have heard this before),
that I invented grid circling to prove a point about how the contest
encouraged this type of participation because of the way the contest
score was calculated. I felt this was a flaw in the scoring method and
did it to prove what ridiculous scores could be had using equipment
that was not really capable of making long distance contacts. I did
this for one contest and continued the rest of my contesting life like
the 99.9% of you on this VHF Contesting reflector. From that experience
I do not understand why anyone would want to do this contest after
contest. Rapid fire contacts across a field did not give me the feeling
I normally get after a successful contest. I think the bottom line is
the participants who just grid circle will soon tire and will stop
doing it. The problem for me would be the serious rover who competes
against another serious rover who in addition to working the field also
meets with a partner and does a grid circle. I see no value in the 16
short range QSO's per band other than artificially inflating the final
score of the dancing couple and in doing so would beat the 1st roving
station.

  Stan, KA1ZE/3, FN01xt