Re: [VHFcontesting] Radio Options for 144/432 Now that I need a newone

To: David Vondrasek <n5ito@davidv.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Radio Options for 144/432 Now that I need a newone
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 12:07:16 -0700
On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 10:54:31AM -0500, David Vondrasek wrote:
> Due to a lightening strike and after the station blow up yesterday and a
> talk with the Insurnace it seem I may be getting a new Radio setup thanks to
> Insurnace coverage. As the radios are pretty limited out there now for ones
> that can do 144/432 SSB/CW I thought I'd ask the pro's for advise and what
> they thought. From what I can tell there are pretty much 3 Radios on the
> market for VHF/UHF work that offer enough output to drive the Henry 2002 I
> have for VHF. I'm open for views on what would be a nice radio for VHF/UHF
> EME/Tropo work. The three Im looking at..

The Henry 2002 takes 100W to drive it to full output, right?  The FT-847
only does 50W on two meters.  The IC-910H does not have six meters at all,
nor a provision to add six meters.

> Kenwood TS-2000
> Doesn't everyone own one of these now?
> HF/6/2/UHF
> Nice power up to 144, 100 watts.
> Looking at having the 1.2G installed for more UHF bands.
> ========
> Yaesu FT-847 Earth Station
> HF/6M/2M/70CM
> No Vox operation (Rigblaster issue?)
> Only 50 watts on 144
> No 1.2 Gig avilable
> ====
> Icom IC-910H
> VHF/UHF
> No HF
> Has 1.2 Gig option.
> 100 Watts on 144
> And 75 watts on 432

It would be a lot of work, but you might think about building an
Elecraft K2 and their 50/144/222 transverters.  You'd have to get a
432 transverter from someone like DEMI.  A basic K2 with SSB module
and transverter interface would be $798, and each transverter is $360,
which is around $1900, or about $250 more than a TS-2000.  The Elecraft
setup would have much better receivers, but only 30 watts output.

> Ofcourse you can't find anything with 220 these days, so I'll have to get a
> transverter for any radio I Pick...
>
> Dave
> N5ITO
> Rebuilding !