[VHFcontesting] ke3ht/r report

To: "'Vhfcontesting'" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] ke3ht/r report
From: "Tim Ertl (KE3HT)" <ke3ht@ke3ht.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 22:04:16 -0400
Score: 41,820! A new record for me.
236 QSO's! also a new record for me.
75 Microwave QSO's, another new record for me!
Band conditions: Normal. No I did not hear any Aurora or ducting.

This was the first contest I actually enjoyed this year! It started out with
on the air testing with KJ1K the day before I left. I discovered my 3456
transverter had a problem. I found this problem and fixed it in only 3hours.
I had not even properly tested it. I left for the contest minutes later only
an hour late. I initially decided this was not going to be a good contest.
On the bright side I discovered PA gas prices were $2.89! The Weather was
also extremely good. Might as well enjoy my trip. FN10 was my first stop.
Not a great view but I worked some great contacts. New stations like K3TUF
to 3ghz surprised me. Yea 3ghz was working! Maybe things are looking good? I
had 75 microwave QSO's! Normally I only work 25 but I did make 50 contacts
once before when I tried to schedule every minute on microwaves. I didn't go
crazy this time and I tripled my normal success rate on the microwaves. I
had 236 total QSO's. I had no failures during the contest and I did not hurt
myself. No flat tires. No problems at all. Conditions were consistent, in
other words, 5g was weaker than 3g unlike June where 5g was much better than
any other band. No enhancement for microwaves but they were pretty much the
same all through the contest. Maybe just a little better Sunday Morning
after dawn. This was a nice change for me. June and August were a mess. I
also got 5 hours of sleep this time rather than just 4! I discovered that
N2NK and K3EAR both have fantastic microwave abilities! I made a new record
score of 41,820. Most distant microwave contacts: 5.7ghz: W2SZ 260miles,
3.4ghz: W2SZ 277 miles. A Couple more 200+ mile microwave contacts: 2.3ghz:
K1TEO 257miles FN31 (FN01)and 2.3ghz: K3EAR 256miles FM19 (FN02).
For more details of my adventure including logs, pictures, gas mileage :-)
and other tidbits see my web site  http://www.ke3ht.org/rover/sep2005.

,,,Tim

Tim

Tim Ertl KE3HT/r