[VHFcontesting] W3IY SK

To: <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] W3IY SK
From: "Stephen Hicks, N5AC" <n5ac@n5ac.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:50:38 -0500
I never met Bill, W3IY, personally.  I became interested in roving about a
year ago and I attended Microwave Update 2004 to learn what I could.  MUD
was great, but I found myself wanting for more on roving and I began
searching the web.  I came across Bill pages at
http://users.adelphia.net/~w3iy/rover.htm and I was amazed at all of the
information.  I was concerned that if I didn't get it printed it might not
be there next time I went back so I printed out the entire tome.  As my wife
will attest, for the next month I carried around this stack of papers
stapled together and read it cover to cover as I planned out my own rover.

I wrote Bill a couple of emails and he promptly responded with thorough
answers and explanations to my questions and he always ended with a good
luck and "let me know if I can help" statement.  Bill presented different
points of view on my antenna questions, told me what the pros and cons were
and always gave his own opinions about what he had chosen to do in his own
rover.

We all interface with lots of different radio operators in our ham radio
career.  Most of us have a short list of hams that we can turn to for help
or guidance -- folks that may not be formally our teachers in the hobby, but
have become that through their time and efforts helping others.  For me,
Bill was one of the hams on my short list.  Thanks & 73, Bill.

Steve, N5AC