[VHFcontesting] Down Sizing my Rover

To: Rover's for VHF Contesting and Grid Square Collecting <rover@mailman.qth.net>,vhfcontesting@contesting.com, vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Down Sizing my Rover
From: Dan <n9rla@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 22:12:55 -0500
Hi All,
Hope everyone had / are having a great holiday!

Thanks for all the tips regarding small rigs and downsizing my Rover.
Many of the responses couldn't understand why I would want to give up
the performance of my full size rig and transverter setup.  And I admit,
I am pretty hesitant to do so.  However, trying to setup an Icom 746, 2
transverters, transverter interface, IF switch box, meters, amps,
inverter,  rotor controls, logging computer, mics and keys, and about a
mile of connecting cables in the cab of a Ford Ranger pickup is quite a
burden.  So my main motivation is physical size.

And some day I would like to add a 2m FM rig, TNC, second computer, more
bands, more amps, and a second op sure would be nice.  But right now
it's impossible!

I'll be buying a bigger truck soon, I hope.  But even then I'll have to
be creative, unless I buy a bus :-)

The smaller rig would be a big help, but I haven't convinced myself to
let go of the transverters yet though.  I also do some HF portable
contesting and maybe HF mobile contesting in the future...  So it would
be asking a lot for any rig to fit in to my operating style :-)

Still thinking it over,
73
Dan

--