[VHFcontesting] Murphy and K3LFO/W3DIO Rovers

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Murphy and K3LFO/W3DIO Rovers
From: "Jim Erickson" <k3lfo@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 14:36:46 -0400
It?s sure good to see all of the activity on this weekend.  I just wish
we had been able to participate as well!

It?s a long and complicated story but we just couldn?t get the new
version of the rover ready in time for the beginning of the contest.  It
started with taking an extra 3 weekends to get the new fold over mast
designed and built for the RV.  We couldn?t start any other preparations
until that was done.

After completing the Fold over mast we began to assemble antennas, test
them and install on the mast. We decided to purchase the Directive
systems Rover antennas and replace the old ants on the new rover. The
new 222 antenna just won?t tune. OK, so we put the 30 year old Cush
Craft back into service.  2 meters tuned up nicely, 432 as well.  After
cutting cables and installing all on the mast, the 2m was running high
SWR.  We found out we had it in a bad position for reflections, moved it
and corrected the problem. Next, the extension coax we had for the 432
ant went bad.

Finally we started wiring, plugging in, and testing the power system.
2- 35 amp power supplies,1- 70 amp power supply and 3 large marine
batteries.  By the time this was done it was almost 8 PM on Saturday.

We made the decision to do a mini-rove despite the late start. The idea
was to operate for a while in the driveway, get a good nights rest (we
were warn out) and head for the mountains in the morning.

Everything was working well Saturday night.  We made 83 contacts and 32
Grids during an hour Saturday and another hour Sunday before leaving.

We made the 3 ½ hour drive to Skyline Drive?s Hogs Back overlook.
Started to raise the mast and the Jack Screw Drive Motor mount gave way
letting everything settle down on the roof.  Dave climbed up and
re-attached the drive motor and we tried again.  The mount was not going
to hold anymore so we decided to give it up!

I?m really sorry we weren?t able to hand out more points to all of the
gang out there competing.  But, we?ll be back in September!

73, Jim K3LFO, Dave W3DIO