Re: [VHFcontesting] 902 MHz

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 902 MHz
From: Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 11:04:41 -0600
maded@mindspring.com wrote:

> One of our members has a 900 MHz FM radio, programmable on the ham band.
> He wants
> to put it in service during the August UHF contest.
>
> --Is there enough activity here in the Northeast to warrant putting up
> an FM station on 902?
>
> --What frequencies should he program for FM contacts?

Don't know about local activity there, but most areas with FM 900 MHz
simplex activity are using 927.5 MHz as a calling/simplex frequency, and
most folks have that programmed in their radios.  Sometimes with a CTCSS
tone.  100 Hz CTCSS seems popular.

Almost all of the "popular" modern and older radios that can do 900 MHz
FM Ham can get to that frequency.  Many are deaf without removing or
replacing their crystal filters on their front-ends.

Some are "narrow-banded" (2.5 KHz deviation) and others are
"wide-banded" (5.0 KHz deviation).  Match up what you're going to use
with the popular radios in your area.

The AR902MHz YahooGroup is a good resource for finding out what the
repeater/FM 900 MHz folks are up to in various areas.

Nate WY0X