[VHFcontesting] Digitial Modes in Contesting - was FM in VHFContesting

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Digitial Modes in Contesting - was FM in VHFContesting
From: K7bv6m@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 16:05:30 EDT

In a message dated 6/23/2006 2:10:13 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
kenharker@kenharker.com writes:

The  problem with the digital modes in VHF contests are (a) not very
many  stations are equipped for the digital modes, and (b) any station you
can  work on AX.25, PSK31, or RTTY can be worked faster on SSB/CW.  The  WSJT
modes are gaining in popularity, but they require skeds, which kind of
detracts from the fun of making random contacts in a  contest.

While I generally have near-total agreement with the views of my friend Ken
WM5R, I have to say that I do not agree at all with him on the subject of
contesting digital mode contacts; specifically WSJT digital contacts since I do

not have any experiences with the other digital modes Ken  mentions.

I believe that experience has shown that using WSJT digital modes to
complete meteor scatter contacts can add substantially to ones final score.
While
one certainly cannot maintain a significant "run" rate using WSJT  (comparable
to SSB and CW rates), you most assuredly can add unique grid  multipliers to
your score on 6 and 2 meters. And I maintain that a number of  weak signal
contacts you will make likely could not have be made as  quickly, if at all, if
attempted via SSB/CW.

For me, WSJT contact work falls in the multiplier gathering category, with
no intent whatsoever to contribute to my fun making random contacts in a
contest. Speaking of random contacts, though, I would like those who do not
already know to be aware that the WSJT user "community" is doing a lot to
dramatically stimulate random activity both in and outside contests.

But like anything in contesting, if one expects to master a tool or tactic
just before or during a contest, you are asking for disappointment. Please  do
not try and wring maximum benefit out of an allowed contesting mode,  WSJT,
without applying some time to learning its proper application and use  under
contest conditions. Those wanting to score big in the contest spend time
learning the Morse code, rapid fire SSB operating, etc - do the same for WSJT
outside the contest period and you will be pleasantly surprise.

More info on WSJT and meteor scatter can be found at
_http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/_ (http://www.ykc.com/wa5ufh/)   To give  the
software a try, download it
free from _http://pulsar.princeton.edu/~joe/K1JT/_
(http://pulsar.princeton.edu/~joe/K1JT/)  and  then get on the website
dedicated to WSJT meteor scatter -
Ping Jockey Central  _http://www.pingjockey.net/cgi-bin/pingtalk/_
(http://www.pingjockey.net/cgi-bin/pingtalk/)  -  you will find a friendly
group there
eager to show you how to quick master this  fun mode of operating.

73,
Dennis Motschenbacher K7BV
_www.qth.com/k7bv_ (http://www.qth.com/k7bv)