Re: [VHFcontesting] Homebrew 12VDC generators...

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Homebrew 12VDC generators...
From: "Eric Smith" <kb7dqh@donobi.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 17:03:51 -0700
Horizontal shaft engine with cast iron flywheel, that is.
 The vertical shaft engines with an aluminum flywheel don't
have enough inertia, and you end up breaking the flywheel
keys or hogging out the slot in the flywheel... usually
advances or retards the timing making operation difficult
or impossible.  Or, use a really heavy, large-diameter cast
pulley on the engine.  Other than that, alternators with
external regulators can be made to work by running the
field voltage thru a rheostat, or, for more precise voltage
regulation, use the matching external regulator.  My first
portable genset for field work used a 2-1/2 hp Briggs and
Stratton, and some 40 amp Mitsubishi alternator I had
kicking around.  Put the whole mess into an old homemade
19" rack mount, which held the alternator, engine, and auto
muffler.  Made at least 20 amps at 13.8 VDC.  Ran a 100W HF
rig one field day using that beast and 3 deep cycle
batteries.  I wired the alternator for "full field"
operation and adjusted charge voltage/current with the
engine throttle.
  Worked great.
Eric
KB7DQH