Re: [VHFcontesting] coax for 50 and 144 questions

To: VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] coax for 50 and 144 questions
From: John Kemker <john@kemker.org>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 12:59:11 -0400
David Ashworth wrote:
>  Hi to all, thank you for the answers to my previous questions about
> stacking and rotors.  I learned a lot.  Now, a couple of questions and
> wonder what you are using that works.  Here is the statement and the
> questions:  Have some 9913 that feeds a multi-band vertical for 5 years or
> more.  Heard that it may suck up water, no troubles yet.  Now, we write a
> clean slate. Say I would like to put up beams on a new mast for 50 and 144.
> What coax would the group recommend?  I am curious, I have heard about this
> LMR-400, etc,  but have not seen any of it.  If it is like 9913, it would
> not like to turn around and around.   What connector from the high dollar
> run (LMR)  to the pigtail coax that likes motion would you advise? What type
> of coax would you use for the pig tail?  Just full of questions.  The run
> would be 100'. Thank you much for your assistance, Dave, NC6P.

Times Microwave (manufacturers of LMR-400) makes an Ultraflex version of
LMR-400 that works well with rotators, etc.  Personally, I'd use that as
a pigtail and look for surplus LDF5-50 Heliax to run down the tower and
back to the shack.

I found some great deals on 7/8" DIN connectors that I'm using as
splices to splice the lengths of Heliax together.  Makes for a strong,
low loss, easy-to-weatherproof splice.  On the ends, I have N
connectors, as they were the easiest to find.

I save the Heliax for 70cm and above.  For 2m and below, I just use
LMR-400 all the way back to the shack, as the loss is negligible at
those frequencies.

--JohnK
73 de W5NNH