Re: [VHFcontesting] Icom 746 as contesting rig

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Icom 746 as contesting rig
From: Ray J <ray@w9ray.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 18:41:03 -0500
what do you want to compare it to? and what you expect it to do..

 one of the best contest setups would be  DB6NT or Down East Microwave
transverters  hooked to a good hf radio such as a Icom7800,or a ft9000
or something like that.. that would be a great setup.

In the recent cqvhf contest I thought my 746 RX was having a meltdown or
something , on the 6 meter pile up that was from 50.130-50.220

the amazing thing was switching between the 746 and my newly purchased
SDR-1000 ,  My original model 746 seems to hear about  5 qsos going on
everywhere  I tuned around to,  but with the SDR-1000, it seemed  I
could just tune from  qso to qso,    the filtering and rejection seems
to be simply just awesome.. arrl testing seem to think that the radio
has the "worlds best narrow spaced dynamic range"..

so I would have to say that my original 746 is not that good compared to
some stuff

Ray J
W9RAY
en44gt