Re: [VHFcontesting] Captive Roving...whatever that is, really

To: Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Captive Roving...whatever that is, really
From: Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 18:25:59 -0700
Ev Tupis wrote:

> ... all you need to do is remove any/all digi's from your path, and include
> "RFONLY" instead.  Everyone can still use APRS software to track you, but
> they will need to be on simplex (suggested frequency: 147.585, btw) and you
> should run high power (like a 160 watt brick) to be heard.  This is an ARRL
> approved strategy for using APRS, fwiw.

The key point in my request was that NON-ham participants wanted to
"spectate".

Similar to your proposals to make Ham Radio more like sporting contests,
and real-time.   (GRIN)... In fact, it was probably your comments about
that that made me think up the idea before I learned it would be illegal
at the last minute.  Thank goodness I did.  The rule book wasn't clear
about this at all, only the mailing lists and prior discussions were.
No one bothered to put the APRS example IN THE RULES, although I
understand after re-reading them how the rule applies and have no
argument that it would.

Out of those 20 or so people I spammed at work, family, friends... with
the story of building the rover... two are interested now in becoming
Hams, and one is actively studying for his test.  I'll make sure he has
at least an HT once he gets going, he's got no budget for this.  You
know what he's done for YEARS for a hobby?  AM DX'ing with crystal rigs.
  The guy's a natural Ham and just didn't know it... and probably can't
afford to do crazy things like Contest... but we'll drag him to the
multi-op and plop him in front of a radio, and give him a chance -- if
he wants it!

If ARRL wants new members, and new Hams, allowing digi with APRS during
a roving event of any sort seems like a great way to introduce people to
the hobby... "See?  You can see where I am!  (on the cell phone with
contest noises in the background)"  or... "This was the exact track I
took -- you can see where I got lost in Wyoming right here, lots of
backtracking!"

It's not a big deal, but I wanted to clarify that the people that wanted
to watch were non-Hams and had no reasonable way to see a rover 100
miles away on VHF simplex!!!

Not to mention, the rules STILL say if I'm transmitting on VHF I gotta
shut down the APRS, digis or no digis... right?  Completely silly and
annoying... but I did it.  And I *did* run non-digi anyway... no one,
not even hams out here, reported seeing me on APRS at any time during or
after the contest.

Nate WY0X