Re: [VHFcontesting] [Roving...]

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [Roving...]
From: Paul Kiesel <k7cw@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 09:53:21 -0800 (PST)
Ev,

Of course, we are only guessing as to the motivations
for making the rules, but one can draw accurate
conclusions, I think.

The ARRL contest desk would not attempt to explain why
any rule was made. Instead, they pointed me toward my
Division Director (now SK) who, I am sorry to say, was
simply clueless about these matters and was not
interested in helping.

On the matter of using K7CW/VE7 instead of VE7RCW,
N1ND told me that they had contacted Industry Canada
(Canadian version of the FCC) and that the people they
talked to told them that it would have been
permissible for me to use K7CW/VE7 even though I had a
Canadian-issued call sign. However, the RAC (Radio
Amateurs of Canada) website stated that the Canadian
issued call sign had to be used. As far as my using
VE7RCW/W7, that is not allowed by the FCC. We must use
our FCC-issued calls while operating in the US.

As far as secondary credit goes, there is that
possibility in two grids up here, CN88 and CN78,
because of Vancouver Island. The other grids are
separated by the international boundary. You are quite
correct about this problem, though. But, N1ND did not
seem to recognize this apparent problem when he said
that it would have been permissible for me to use
K7CW/whatever because the subject didn't come up. Of
course, this is not a problem were the rules to be
rewritten to allow multiple entries based on crossing
international boundaries or on allowing rovers to
cross international boundaries as part of their
single-entry operation. Elementary: You'd just allow
both contacts! Look at it as an incentive to cross
international boundaries. :))

73,
Paul, K7CW