Re: [VHFcontesting] Elecraft XV144 QST Review Online

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Elecraft XV144 QST Review Online
From: <samir.popaja@telia.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 13:44:25 +0100 (MET)
Hello,

Taken from, the http://www.df9ic.de/tech/trxtest/trxtest.html

"The Elecraft K2 also has a low IF design using conventional VCOs which should
result in a good LO noise supression but does not. You may compare the ARRL
test results of the LO noise that Elecraft publishes on their own website and
which is closely within our blocking test result (our measured -95 dB RX
blocking in 20 kHz offset is equivalent to -129 dBc/Hz LO noise). The high
level of TX noise shows that there seem to be design flaws choosing too low
signal levels internally. The AGC threshold is ridiculously high (subjective
impression). I also do not understand why it uses low quality ladder crystal
filters instead of a filter from monolithic duals like any other radio does.
Overall it was the worst HF radio in the test (OK, a 144 MHz IC910H is still
worse...)."

Is the K2 + XV144 really bad combo or the others transverters are much better?

73' SM7VZX

Re: [VHFcontesting] Elecraft XV144 QST Review Online
from [Duane Grotophorst] [Permanent Link][Original]