Re: [VHFcontesting] impedence of 8" long bulkhead @ VHF/UHF?

To: <k2kw-8@adelphia.net>, <k8bb@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] impedence of 8" long bulkhead @ VHF/UHF?
From: "Jim Worsham" <wa4kxy@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 19:00:12 -0500
I am certain that if you measure the outside diameter of the rod, the inside
diameter of the body and calculate the impedance of the resulting
transmission line it WILL NOT be 50 ohms.  UHF (misnomer) connectors are not
50 ohms.  What you are doing is inserting a short length of a non 50 ohm
transmission line in series with your 50 ohm coax.  As long as a wavelength
at your operating frequency is much greater than 8 inches no harm no foul
but when you get into the VHF and UHF region those bulkheads introduce a big
(relative to the wavelength) impedance bump.  My advice, UHF connectors are
for HF an maybe 6 meters.  Above 6 meters everything is N connectors here.

73
Jim, W4KXY