[VHFcontesting] January VHF Sweepstakes Es Opening

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] January VHF Sweepstakes Es Opening
From: "jon jones" <n0jk@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 17:41:50 +0000
There was a 2 1/2 hour Es opening on 6 Meters Saturday afternoon/evening in the 2007 January VHF Sweepstakes contest. The primary Es center was located over southeast Missouri/western Kentucky. It allowed stations in Texas to work 3 and 8 call areas, Oklahoma/Kansas/Nebraska to work 4 land at the beginning of the opening. Later the Es center drifted north, and Oklahoma, Neb., and Kansas logged 2 and 3 land. K0HA worked 5 Delaware stations! K0XXX in EM46 had VE3/W4TAA FN15 in - probably off the same Es center.

There was a minor secondary center over EM23/EM24 in northern Texas. Kansas and Nebraska stations to worked EL29, EL49, etc off it. I made my only contest QSO (K5IX EL29) off it.

I posted a map of the Es paths ~ 2350 UTC Jan. 20 on the ARRL Soapbox for the Jan. 2007 VHF SS.

The winter minor Es season has been slow - it was a treat to have a contest Es opening.

- Jon N0JK