Re: [VHFcontesting] VUCC Questions

To: Flavio Archangelo <archangelo@mandic.com.br>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] VUCC Questions
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 08:50:55 -0800
On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 11:32:43AM -0200, Flavio Archangelo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have some questions about VUCC.
>
> According point 6 of the VUCC Rules, I have a maximum area (200 km or
> 300 m around the QTH depending of the band) where my station can be
> located and then counts the grids worked.
>
> But in VHF DXing is quite commom place make portable hilltop operations.
> For these operations - If located far away of the previous 200km/300m
> from the my main station QTH - Are they NOT valid to give credits to my
> personal grids performace?

Yes - you cannot combine the grid totals worked from your home QTH and
the grid totals worked from the hilltop QTH if the two are more than
200 km / 300 meters (depending on the band) apart from one another.
However, you can separately earn VUCC from both locations.

> And in the case of contest stations, sometimes on the hilltops too, with
> a team of contesters and single special callsign, even If located inside
> of 200km/300m area, this kind of station can give me grid worked credits?

The award is tied to the call sign, in essence, so you can earn VUCC based
on the QSOs made with your call sign, or a club station can be granted
VUCC based on QSOs made with the club call sign, but you cannot mix the
two and try to claim credit for your VUCC award using QSOs made with the
club call sign.

> And the mobile/rover stations? The rules made mention about aeronautical
> mobiles.

I don't think mobile/rover stations are treated any differently.  It would
be harder to earn VUCC as a mobile station, as you're moving all the time.
The best opportunity for a mobile station to work VUCC would be to revisit
one location frequently and be diligent about keeping those QSOs documented
separately - or stopping somewhere for a few hours and working 100 grids
on six meters in a really big Eskip event.

> Best wishes and good DX.
>
> Fl?vio Archangelo PY2ZX GG66nt

Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker@kenharker.com