Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] HD Chimney Bracket

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] HD Chimney Bracket
From: Art <KY1K@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 12:04:00 -0500
You need a tower, not a chimney.

But, I used to live on high ground and had a large VHF tv antenna, a
large UHF tv antenna, a 2 meter vertical and a 10 element 2 meter
beam and an HD73 rotor. All of this was on 25 feet of steel pipe and
was mounted to the chimney with 4 heavy duty chimney brackets (one
for every foot of chimney above the roof line).

Despite the high winds on the hill top and the relative poor
condition of the chimney (a block chimney-well aged), those antennas
stayed up for years! I had the mast guyed with non metallic rayon
rope on each corner of the house though.

It did finally come down one day when one of the guy ropes broke.

The mast and antennas leaned in one direction due to the bent mast,
and it did manage to snap the chimney off at the roof line. But all 4
brackets were still attached to chimney::>

I have no doubt that the antenna and chimney would still be in
service today if it hadn't been for the guy rope breaking.

Your mileage will vary::>

Art