Re: [VHFcontesting] ic 746 vs 920 vs FT-847 et al

To: "Joshua M. Arritt" <jarritt@vt.edu>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] ic 746 vs 920 vs FT-847 et al
From: David Pruett <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 19:15:16 -0500
All:

An interesting mix of radios under discussion.  Since I have experience
with all of them, let me add my $.02.

My only experience with the FT-920 came on HF down at WP2Z where we
endured a CQ WPX SSB contest with two of them.  One blew up and the
three of us just couldn't get the other 920 to sound right.  All of the
op team was used to FT-1000Ds/FT-1000MPs and the 920 just didn't cut
it.  It's cool that it has 50 MHz.  I *wanted* to like the radio, but
IMHO it didn't cut it.  One big problem; no cascaded CW filters without
the add-in INRAD filter board.

I own a FT-847 with an INRAD 400 Hz CW filter and have been pretty happy
with it, using it on 144 and 432 in a number of VHF contest operations.
Right after I got it, I tried to use it in the CQ WPX CW contest but it
was absolutely unusable, so I yanked the 600 Hz subreceiver filter out
of one of my 1000Ds and stuck it in.  I've never seen such an
improvement (however it *was* horrible to begin with).  I've found that
with an IF CW filter, and using the radio's lame DSP in cascade, it's a
decent radio on CW.  Never had the difficulties Josh mentioned on SSB.

I also own a IC-746Pro.  IMHO this is the best radio of the bunch.  Used
it some on HF with zero complaints, and we've had a pair of them (my
buddy K9TM owns its twin) on 50 and 144 MHz with very enjoyable
results.  Really enjoy the adjustable receive bandswidth provided by the
IF DSP.  My friend K8MR uses his "regular" IC-746 (non-Pro) on both HF
and VHF with good results.

IMO, if someone wants a low cost radio, the original IC-756 (non-Pro) is
a pretty good deal.  The one I have has been mobile contesting, has been
to the Bahamas, Field Day, etc. with nary a complaint.  Now it lives out
its retirement as the IF radio on 222 MHz (where the band score comes in
very handy).

73,

Dave/K8CC