[VHFcontesting] 222 Sprint from Virginia in the Rover

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 222 Sprint from Virginia in the Rover
From: "Steve Gilmore" <shg@midatlanticbb.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 08:07:40 -0400
Well ..........

When your first contact in FM18 is K1TEO (FN31) and then you hear nothing
for 20 minutes in a Rover you sort of get the quick understanding that the
event may be little tough. Well tough was an understatement however
considering the Noreaster that has put a slap down on New Jersey and much of
the Northeast together with the events at Virginia Tech, it is no wonder.

Very little activity in the DC Metro area, most of the contacts using the
call KI4GZY/R were Northeast.
This was the poorest 222 Sprint for conditons and participation I can
remember.

WF4R in FM16 is normally 20 over 9 from Skyline drive. He was 3/3 last night
and many were S5 then S-Gone.

The only stable big signal we heard last night was K1TEO and K4QI, everyone
else less KE2N, in our back yard, was up and down. Wind was around 50mph on
the mountain and pretty cold mid 30's. Interestingly enough down in FM09 at
600ft ASL K1TEO's was 10 over 9 but on top of Skyline Drive at 3400asl about
5 and 5. Really conditions were quite interesting last night.

It seems when wind is around conditions are not ....
222 is such a good band it's too bad we have such poor activity in the DC
Metro area.
I will chalk it up to conditions and wx.

I saw some activity in the MidWest and it looked pretty good compared to the
Northeast this event.

It was a long contest with only 35 Q's from the rover using KI4GZY/R as
Dennis did a great job in less than decent conditions.

Look for all of you next Wednesday Night, probably using the call W4SHG /R.
Still had fun and didn't blow up anything so this was a positive event :)

Respectfully Submitted
Steve Gilmore - W4SHG