[VHFcontesting] WW1M/R 432 Sprint

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] WW1M/R 432 Sprint
From: Bruce Herrick <bdh@teleport.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 13:48:56 -0600
Everything worked well this time.  Thanks to Dave, K1WHS for the yagi
and the last minute new feedline.  There didn't seem to be a lot of
activity but it's often difficult to get the folks in/near the
population centers to look up here in the wilds of Maine.  I heard
several fairly loud stations who finished their existing QSOs and
then disappeared.

As always, there were a few surprises.  From my FN53at location,
K2OVS in FN30rx and K1IIG in FN31ol were by far the loudest with the
beam pointing 90-100 degrees to the east of their locations.  FN53at
is right on the water and there was nothing obvious for the signal to
be bouncing from.  Interesting skewed path.

My last grid was FN54ab; only worked K1WHS from there.  It always
seems that the final grid in a rove is pretty dead.

Always great fun.  Thanks to John and Steve for the sponsorship and
to all the guys whom I was able to work.  Next improvement is a
rotator and some sort of compass that I don't have to exit the car to
get an accurate reading from.  The GPS has to move too far to get a
good heading indication.

Hope I can get out there for 6 meters.

Final tally:  16 QSOs in 11 grids from my 4 grids.  Actual grids were
FN30, FN31, FN42, FN43

73,

Bruce WW1M/R