[VHFcontesting] The Great Colorado Grid Run

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] The Great Colorado Grid Run
From: Bob Witte K0NR <list@k0nr.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 20:12:44 -0600
A challenge we have in many of the western states is getting sufficient
grids activated during VHF contests. In Colorado, there are grids that
have more cows than people living there and very few licensed radio
amateurs. If there are radio amateurs living there, they may not be
active on weak-signal VHF/UHF.  The end result is that we often have VHF
grids that are not active during the major VHF contests.

Under the theory that activity breeds more activity on the VHF bands, I
proposed a coordinated effort to activate all Colorado grids during the
ARRL June VHF contest. This effort would collectively raise the scores
of everyone in the Rocky Mountain region as we all have more grids to
work locally. More importantly, this would be a lot of fun!

How difficult is this to pull off? There are 16 VHF grids in Colorado.
See the Colorado vhf grid map at http://www.k0nr.com/rwitte/vhf_grids.html

The usual front range (Fort Collins, Boulder, Denver, Colorado Springs)
VHF stations would have DN70, DM79 and DM78 covered. There are a couple
of rover stations planning to head out east and hit DN80, DM89, DM88,
DM87. DM77 will also be activated by one of the rovers. On the Western
slope, veteran contester N0KE will be on the the air from DM69. At the
moment, we have stations  covering all 16 grids except DM67, DN50,  DM58
and DM57. I expect that we will close the gap and have those on the air
for the contest.

This is a great opportunity for radio amateurs in adjacent states to
pick up some needed grids on 2M and higher.  With some decent 50 MHz
propagation, it should get really exciting for other parts of North
America.

If you are interested in participating in this effort and can operate
from one of the more rare grids, contact Bob K0NR (bob@k0nr.com
<mailto:bob@k0nr.com>). To keep up to date on the status of this effort,
see http://www.k0nr.com/coloradojunegrids.html