Re: [VHFcontesting] Anyone using the Yaesu FT450?

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Anyone using the Yaesu FT450?
From: "Eric Smith" <kb7dqh@donobi.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 13:33:28 -0700
Yes!  I got one way back in March, and used it for the 6
meter sprint, all following contests, and a few band
openings.  It is currently installed in my rover vehicle,
and outperforms the FT 897 with the SSB filter installed.
 Lots of features normally found on rigs costing thousands
more, but not overly cluttered up with stuff you don't
need.  IF DSP Noise Reduction that REALLY WORKS!   Great RX
sensetivity.  With the hand mike that comes with it, and
the DSP microphone equalizer set "flat" I have received
excellent audio reports...  Oh yeah, a noise blanker that
actually gets rid of most powerline noise!  I have yet to
find a station here in the PNW who can "crush" the front
end on this thing.  Huge dynamic range.

It borrows much of its circuitry from its "big brother" the
FT 2000, so if you have that box and want something smaller
for field use with near equal performance, the FT 450
should work FB.  If you also have the FT 817, 857 or 897,
you will find the menu system remarkably similar, so the
"learning curve" for this rig really only involves the
tricks needed to set up the things that the FT 450 posesses
uniquely, like the two voice memories and the like.

IF you do RTTY it makes REAL FSK!!! Or can be configured to
do all the AFSK modes as well.

I do believe it is the least expensive HF/6 meter radio on
the market which posesses IF DSP.

Eric
KB7DQH