Re: [VHFcontesting] K1WHS or Bust

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] K1WHS or Bust
From: "JT Croteau" <jt.n1ese@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 11:47:04 -0400
Well, I had great fun at K1WHS.  I didn't last quite as long as I
wanted to in the chair, I only made it for about 7.5 hours.  I was a
terrible op at the very beginning, my apologies to the stations I
first worked.  I was constantly getting tongue-tied and my
concentration wasn't there yet as I was unable to block out what our
6M op was saying.  This was my first multi-multi contest, all my other
operating was single or multi-single, so I wasn't quite used to all
the activity going on around me.  However, I finally came up to speed
and was having a lot of fun while gaining great experience behind the
controls.

Activity on 144 while I was op was quite low, I think everyone was
taking advantage of the terrific conditions on 50.  We had a great
opening on 50 to Europe before the contest started so it was clear 50
was going to be hopping.  During daylight hours, I had terrible S3 to
S4 line noise on the fixed array that is pointed southwest.  There
were a few callers way down in the noise that I just could not dig
out.  If I missed you, my apologies.  Once the sun started setting,
the noise started going away.

I think my best highlights were working the calls I recognized from
this reflector.  Especially those who have been so helpful in getting
my rover planned.

Hopefully Dave will have me again in September as I don't think my
rover will be quite ready.  I played with some toys @ K1WHS that I
don't think I could live without in my rover.

--
JT Croteau, N1ESE - Manchester, NH