[VHFcontesting] New Contester Report

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com, vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu
Subject: [VHFcontesting] New Contester Report
From: K9GTJ <K9GTJ@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 21:21:09 -0400
he sun has set on my first foray into contesting. I started the contest
handicapped besides the obvious lack of contest (and amateur radio)
experience. The first handicap was becoming sick with flu like symptoms
Thursday night. The entire miserable feeling that you associate with the
flu plagued me (and my wife) for the rest of the weekend.

My second handicap was a birthday party/cook out which sprung up
recently on Saturday that took a good 5 hour chunk near the contest
start. Besides taking away contesting time, I was unable to enjoy the
good food and drink due to handicap number one.

As for the on air activities, I didn’t expect to break any records, win,
come close, or even make a serious dent. I knew with modest equipment,
limited hours to participate, and no experience that I should enjoy this
as a fun learning experience. I also was going to stick with 6 meters only.

I did was would be expected of a new ham, I listened more that I
transmitted. I picked out an operator and got a rhythm of their QSO and
made sure I had all of their information before I made contact. Each
contact was usually checked and double checked before I called back.

I also had a grid locator printed and was making off squares like on a
bingo card. That made it interesting.

I made a good solid contact right out of the gate with KU8E EM72 right
after the contest started. I only had the first hour before leaving to
head on to party and was not able to make any additional contacts.

Coming back a around 2300Z had the bands open to the New England area. I
picked up several contacts in EN41, EN42, EN43, EN44. I did have a
problem with KA1LMR. I heard him frequently but was never able in the
three different attempts of responding multiple time to have him hear me.

During course of the evening, I worked fellow ham N9XG just a few miles
away. Since he was very close, I decided to listen to his QSOs and
compare both of my antennas. As expected, the multi-band vertical did
much better than the long wire with tuner. (OK, my antenna system could
be considered a third handicap.) Overall I would say I could hear 80% of
his contacts.

I felt pretty good with my rate of contacts and with a second wind one
gets after the flu goes away, I was ready for a long night of VHF DXing.
I have a few contacts scattered about and was very excited with W5WVO in
DM65. Sadly 6 meters went dead for me right after that. I kept tuning
and listening but nothing.

After a couple of hours, I decided to get a good night of sleep. I did
wake up a couple of times and spend 5 to 10 minutes checking the band
but nothing.

Waking up feeling even better physically, I hit the radio and heard a
few crackles of hope and then W6OAL clear as a bell popped through. I
wrote down his call and waited for a second CQ. I then responded and
heard him say something then fade forever. I kept listening to that
frequency (155.130 (?)) but never heard him again.

While listening for him to return, I started looking at 6 meter
propagation and saw someone a couple of grids away was picking up VE5UF
in DO61 on 50.145 just a few minutes before so I checked it out and made
a new contact.

Oddly enough, I made a few more contacts with grids next door or in my
grid and then finally it happened. An opening to New England where I
made a few contacts and logged the elusive KA1LMR in FN43. (Well, he was
elusive to me anyway.)

I ended up with some more time listening before the urge to nap took
over making me give up the last 30 minutes of the contest. My final
numbers are pathetic by most standards. Only 18 contacts, 14 grids, and
252 points for my first effort.

The good news is I got some experience and confidence and look forward
to doing this again. My listening habits also improved with 10 to 12
hours at the receiver. Sorting out the contact from the QRM is a skill
which needs to be practiced to be mastered.

Thanks to anyone I contacted this weekend and I look forward to other
reports.

--
Jim Hunt
K9GTJ