Re: [VHFcontesting] June 1987 VHF Contest

To: VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] June 1987 VHF Contest
From: Ellen Rugowski <ellenjoanne2003@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 13:42:19 -0700 (PDT)
Yep, it was quite a blast.  Of course back then, the DX window of 50.100 to
50.125 really didn't exist (due to the fact that Europeans were just starting
to get 6m priveleges).  The calling freq. was at 50.110, and from 50.100 all
the way up to at least 50.250 (maybe even 50.300 - it's been 20 years, so I
don't clearly recall how far up I had to tune) was jam packed with SSB signals.
 It actually got old after a while (strange as it sounds), hearing New England
or California booming in for umpteen hours.  I wish I hadn't had to sell my
IC-290H to get on 6m for the '87 QSO party (I was a poor, new college
graduate).  I've only worked Es once before on 2m (way back in 1990 or 91),
working it for 2 hours would have been wild. I even remember hearing briefly a
Carribean coming in, but the pileup was insane, and my 10W couldn't break it.

  73,
  Ellen - AF9J

JT Croteau <jt.n1ese@gmail.com> wrote:
  I wasn't a Novice til late 1989 so I can't comment much on June of '87
other than to say I'm jealous.

--
JT Croteau, N1ESE - Manchester, NH