Re: [VHFcontesting] APRS vs. Real-time logging

To: "Rogers, Ron" <RR124640@ncr.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] APRS vs. Real-time logging
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 10:13:20 -0700
On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 12:46:24PM -0400, Rogers, Ron wrote:
>  Let's clear the air about a possible APRS use during contests
> misconception.

I don't think those of us opposed to your ideas necessarily fail to
understand them.

> We advocates of APRS usage during contesting are only talking about the
> beaconing of GPS positioning data...

This is a bad idea if there's a network of nodes that repeats the information
on to those stations that would not have directly received it in the first
place.  Even is it's "just" positioning data.  It's very hard for me
understand why something that is not direct two-way radiocommunications
should belong in, let alone enhance, radio competition.

>                                                                  The
> rules of the contest don't mention anything about every QSO exchange
> must be based clearly on "chance" or "accidental discovery".

That's an interesting idea.  I'd be in favor of that change.

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker@kenharker.com