Re: [VHFcontesting] DC Power Distribution

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] DC Power Distribution
From: Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 11:50:39 -0600
Matt Patterson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm putting the final touches on my rover for September and I was
> wondering if I could get some ideas on what other rovers use for DC
> power distribution.  I'm especially interested in what you use to
> distribute power to your high power amplifiers.
>

> 73 Matt
> W5LL

Ditto just about everything everyone said... heavy gauge wires to the
battery of the vehicle, proper safety-minded installation fused, etc...
and then I like the big 75A powerpole connector for that "main"
connection (6 gauge), then a powerpole distribution block from DCPower
(complete with LED voltmeter that can be read in the dark or daylight
for monitoring battery health) which also has a kill switch on it, and
will power off the connected loads if voltage goes too high or too low.

I used to be a big anti-powerpole person, whining that they had no
locking mechanism, etc... but I took the plunge and bought the
distribution block at Dayton a couple of years ago, and haven't had any
problems at all... even with it mounted vertically with the cables
"hanging" from it with little support, I only typically have one "fall
out" during a rove...

Nate WY0X