[VHFcontesting] A political Hack named DL Dave

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] A political Hack named DL Dave
From: "frank bechdoldt" <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 08:52:41 -0700

The creation of DL Dave is wrong and isn?t really fair. It reminds me of the Swiftboat Captains of 2004 or Move on . org

DL Dave may have some points if he controls his expletives and adverbs.

If that contest group has a schedule so full that they only have enough time to work themselves then I suppose its ok with the rules we currently have. Even the west Texas rovers have reached out to others and worked others when they do a 10 band 16 grid rove and I do believe that there must be time there.

The fundamental problem here is the rules. The most obvious is the rule that limits 2 people to a vehicle. If that NE group could put 3 or 4 guys in a car they would have no excuse for not working the likes of DL Dave. If toy send a 10 band station to Nebraska, why not let them help as many people as they can as quick as they can?

The next problem is the rover classification. There are 2 or 3 ways to play the rover game, one is to feed on a select number of stations only, or focus on a traveling team primarily to get your qsos and mults and pick off others if time permits. Or just work everyone you hear and follow ones own schedule. The first 2 are similar in points with the exception of the first one inflating a home station?(s) score and the scores can be similar.

However in the latter the independent rover?s score depends on how many stations are out there in any given contest. It was kind of bleak out here this year in September.

It?s hard to think that some of the VUAC participates in what QST called controversial practices. But then again how many of our politicians do such things until outrage forces change?

There needs to be 2 rover classifications, one for teams and one for not teamed what would one more class hurt?

Finally there is the missing rule that could be aplied here. Perhaps the VUAC members should not be allowed to turn in logs that count for points. IE they should not be put in the position where their integrity is called into question. They are our ?old hands? of the contests and to be raised to such a pedistool should be an honor. IE Allen Greenspan couldn?t trade stock while being the head of the Federal Reserve, why should VUAC members be eligible for awards for contests they help create or control the natural progession of rule changes as practices and technologies change?

If such a rule existed there would be insulation of members from the flames of the DL Daves in the world.

Again what DL Dave did is wrong, especially the expletives and name calling, but I doubt if we can stop it. I dont know most of that group in the NE, but Im sure they are good individuals with a different outlook on life than my own.

Like the war on terror, we need to fix the root cause or we will be dealing with the problems like this until the FCC sells our privileges to ATT wireless. DL Dave is our little PLO which scores his terror victories by the amount of people's outrage. If you are gong to write an outrageous letter( such as this one) its better to apply your own name to give it some wieght.

A well written letter to your ARRl section leader and perhaps the section leader where the problem exists should surfice. the formation of the Marconi independent Liberation Front (milf) is not needed.

K3UHF
Frank