Re: [VHFcontesting] water damage

To: VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] water damage
From: Tom Frenaye <frenaye@hughes.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 12:41:27 -0400
At 11:48 AM 10/13/2007, KA2AEV@aol.com wrote:
>Im not so sure about sticking a radio into any type of oven for  drying
>You may be opening yourself up to a bunch of trouble if the heat setting is
>off, you forget about the radio or any other bunch of senarios occur
>I think Air drying would be the way to go
>Even if it has to sit a few days or a week!

I recall a friend who worked on KC4AAB/mm in Antarctica 30 years ago telling me
that he cleaned the Collins KWM-2's on his ship by running them through a
dishwasher at the low heat setting.  I don't know if he took any precautions
and removed any items first (other than tubes) but the chassis came out looking
quite good, and it usually worked fine.

             -- Tom, once KC4AAC